This hearty, oaty cake could not be easier to make. Using store cupboard basics, it costs just 26p per slice – a cheap treat for all the family.
Top tip: Try adding some chopped walnuts to the oat topping for an extra crunchy texture.
- 300g butter
- 100g honey
- 150g oats
- 50g medium oatmeal
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Grease and base line a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Melt 100g butter with the honey and add the oats.
- Mix together the oatmeal, sugar and flour in a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter and stir into the dry ingredients with the eggs. Pour into the cake tin.
- Sprinkle the oat mixture on top and bake for 45-50 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of honey.
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Which day of the week do you do the bulk of your food shopping on?
- Monday 6%
- Tuesday 5%
- Wednesday 5%
- Thursday 12%
- Friday 17%
- Saturday 16%
- Sunday 5%
- Different days every week 16%
- In small bits all through the week 18%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!