This fruity twist on the traditional family teatime treat Parkin, is sure to go down well. Easy and quick to make, the combination of fresh apple with warming cinnamon and mixed spice is a real treat. It is best made a few days in advance to allow the flavour to mellow and become deliciously moist
To freeze-wrap the cold cake in a freezer bag, seal and freeze it for up to 1 month
- 100g butter
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g oats
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1tsp orange zest
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas mark 6.
- Beat together the butter and sugar, until pale and light. Add in the egg and beat again.
- Fold in the flour, oats and mixed spice.
- Line a square baking tin with parchment. Tip in half of the mixture and sprinkle with half of the chopped apple, half of the orange zest and half of the cinnamon.
- Top with the remaining mixture and scatter with the remaining apple, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cooked.
By Anna Berrill
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Party food face-off
What do you head for first on the buffet table? Sausage rolls or cheese straws?
61% 470 votes
39% 470 votes
This recipe has already been read 600 times!