- 60g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 600ml milk
- 4 rounded tbsp custard powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 100ml double whipping cream
- 200g strawberries
- 1tsp rose water
- Icing sugar, for dusting
You will also need:
- 1 baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
- 1cm (½in) fluted piping nozzle, optional
Each portion contains:
of an adult’s guideline daily amount
You could try this recipe with other fresh berries such as raspberries or blueberries instead
- To make the buns, put the butter and 150ml water in a small pan and heat until the butter melts. Bring the mixture to the boil and quickly add the flour. Beat well off the heat to a smooth dough.
- Cool for 5 mins, then add half the egg, beating well, then gradually beat in more egg to get a shiny pastry.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Spoon 8 mounds of pastry onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 mins. Turn the buns over on the baking sheet and bake for 5 mins, until crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- While the buns are cooking, make a thick custard with the milk, custard powder and sugar. Chill. When ready to use, beat the custard until smooth and mix in the whipped cream. Hull and chop strawberries and stir in the rose water and a little sugar, if needed, to sweeten. Cut the tops almost off the buns and spoon or pipe custard inside, then add strawberry mixture. Put lids back on and dust with icing sugar. Serve within a couple of hours.
By Woman’s Weekly
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twists and handy tips.
Login with Facebook to save this recipe and start building your online Recipe Book
Login with Facebook
This recipe has already been read 309 times!