On the web, the tutorials to make masks with parchment paper or cloth go crazy: but are they really effective?
In the midst of the emergency coronavirus, several tutorials continue to spread on how to make a mask with parchment paper, folding a sheet and applying two elastic bands with the stapler to fix it to the ears. But it really works a protect yourself from infection? Let's start by making a distinction to understand how i work different types of mask.
The only masks that actually reduce the risk of coming into contact with infected saliva particles are le masks FFP2 is FFP3, equipped with a special valve that acts as a filter (to be replaced regularly).
The surgical masks single use, instead, they do not serve to protect themselves, but help not to sneeze or cough in the vicinity of others, avoiding to infect people if they were positive for the virus.
These masks are mainly used by health workers, most at risk due to the numerous contacts with potential infected patients.
Mask with parchment paper: does it work?
The realization of the masks with baking paper is based on the assumption that the baking paper is waterproof. The problem however lies in the fact that the parchment paper does not filter the air and does not adhere completely to the face: the air can enter and exit easily from the sides and upper and lower edges.
Another problem with masks made with parchment paper is having the right ability to make them: it is very easy to make mistakes, damage the faceplate or do not complete it correctly, thus exposing yourself and others to danger.
The use of these DIY masks could therefore generate false security and push people to break or underestimate the most important rules to prevent the spread of the coronavirus COVID-2019: keep the safety distance at least 1 meter, don't touch your face is to wash hands often and carefully.
In conclusion, a mask with parchment paper cannot replace certified and compliant protective devices.
Coronavirus: when and how to wear a mask
The World Health Organization explained when to use the mask on its site.
1. If you are healthy, you will only need the mask if you are taking care of a person who may have contracted the coronavirus COVID-2019.
2. Wear a face mask if cough or sneeze.
3. The masks are effective only when combined with a frequent hand washing, with an alcohol or water and soap solution.
If you are wearing a mask it is important to know how to wear it and use it to prevent it from becoming a vehicle of infection through contact with the hands.
1. Before putting on the mask, wash your hands with an alcohol or soap and water solution.
2. Cover your mouth and nose with the mask, make sure that it adheres completely to the face and that there are no openings between the face and the mask.
3. Avoid touching the mask when you wear it: if you do, wash your hands with an alcohol or soap and water solution.
4. Replace the mask as soon as it becomes wet and do not reuse disposable masks.
5. Remove the mask from the elastic bands, without touching the front; throw away the mask in a closed basket; wash your hands with an alcohol or soap and water solution.
This recipe has already been read 673 times!