This quick and easy stewy soup is surprisingly filling, plus the low cost ingredients make it great value if you’re feeding a crowd. Winter comfort food doesn’t get much better than these combination of flavours; the deeply smoked paprika and fiery chilies in the Spanish pork chorizo give the soup a real kick, that’s subtly offset by the creaminess of the chickpeas and potatoes (make this soup even spicier by adding a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes). If you’ve got time on your hands then use dried chickpeas and soak them in a bowl of cold water overnight.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
For an authentic Spanish finish garnish the soup with chopped boiled eggs.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g chorizo, cut into small chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 750ml chicken stock
- Small bunch parsley, leaves only
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan then add the chorizo pieces and fry for 2 minutes. Next add the onion and garlic and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Lastly add the chickpeas, potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, checking that the potatoes are tender. Season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with parsley.
By Amanda Nicolas
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Delia Smith is no longer the face of Waitrose but Heston Blumenthal will stay – whose food would you rather eat?
- Delia Smith’s classic meals 77%
- Heston Blumenthal’s crazy inventions 10%
- Neither 13%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 319 times!