This is a lovely thick and smooth sauce that is easily made from a glut of fresh ripe tomatoes. It’s great for pasta sauces but can also be used as a part of a marinade or to give a rich tomato flavour to curries, soups and stews. Once made, the cooled passata will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze away in smaller quantities for up to 2 months.
Makes: 1 litre
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
For a richer tomato flavour add 1-2 tbsp sundried tomato paste to the pan with the vinegar and sugar.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 mins until very soft. Transfer to a food processor or blender and process to a smooth paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and basil to the pan and cook gently, stirring frequently, for 20-25 mins until the tomatoes are soft and pulpy. Cool for 10 mins then push through a sieve to make a smooth tomato sauce.
- Return the onion paste and tomato sauce to the pan with the vinegar and sugar and simmer gently for 10-15 mins, stirring, until you have a thick passata. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cool then store in clean jars or sealable containers in the fridge.
By Nichola Palmer
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
Incoming search terms:
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/tomato-sauce
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-steak-marinade
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-sun-dried-tomato-sauce
- gordon ramsay passata
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/passata html
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-steak-marinade#:~:text=with Fresh Basil - Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire hours up to 24 hours
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-steak-marinade#:~:text=Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire hours up to 24 hours
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-steak-marinade#:~:text=Directions: hours up to 24 hours
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-steak-marinade#:~:text=Combine the olive oil, balsamic hours up to 24 hours
- gordon ramsey marinade