The rocket pesto versatile and creamy it is an appetizing alternative to the traditional Genoese pesto: a sauce that is quick to prepare, which lends itself to seasoning pasta, to be spread on toasted bread or to give a touch to your fish or meat dishes: the taste is unique, fresh, delicate but pungent at the same time
The pesto in general it is a sauce that lends itself to many variations depending on your tastes. The best known is the classic pesto alla genovese from the irresistible taste of fresh basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmesan and / or grated pecorino. But, a classic vegetable pasta dish can be made special by a sauce made with the vegetables themselves, like pepperoni, asparagus, dry tomatoes, zucchini, artichokes; but, there is also the pesto dented or the one done with capers, anchovies and olives: click hereto discover all the fanciful variations of the homemade pesto!
The recipe of rocket pesto from Sale & Pepe it is not very common, but we are sure that once discovered, you will not be able to do without it! Seeing is believing!
How to prepare rocket pesto
1) Prepare the ingredients for the rocket pesto. Clean up the rocket, choose and take away the healthy and unblemished leaves, wash and dry them carefully, then break them up and put them together in mixer. Add the blanched almonds, a pinch of salt, the Tuscan pecorino into small pieces and blend everything, until you get a coarse mince.
2) Complete the pesto. Put the chopped mixture in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of Lemon peel grated and the clove ofgarlic peeled and crushed. Rule of salt and pepper, then pour in the right amount of extra virgin olive oil necessary to obtain a creamy mixture.
Stir and let the rocket pesto 10 minutes. Remove the garlic and cover the pesto with the film until ready to use it, otherwise the surface tends to oxidize and darken.
1) If you use the rocket pesto to season pasta, choose a short format with a slightly rough surface, such as orecchiette. The dough should hold the seasoning without letting it "slip". Complete the dish with flakes of fresh pecorino. But, the rocket pesto can also be used to give a refined and particular touch to fish or meat dishes
2) Instead of almonds, if you like it, you can use pine nuts or walnuts that with their "round" flavor will complete the rocket pesto
3) storage. The pesto can be stored in fridge for 1-2 days, in a glass jar covered flush with oil. To keep it 1 month, put it in an airtight container and fix it in the freezer. Thaw slowly in the fridge.
4) The rocket pesto it can also be a vegan sauce, just replace the Parmigiano Reggiano provided in the recipe or eliminate it completely.