- Child friendly
- Make in advance
The lemon loaf will keep for 3 days and will freeze well for up to 2 months uniced.
For the lemon drizzle cake:
- 1½ large eggs
- 87.5g (3 oz) self-raising flour
- 87.5g (3 oz)caster sugar
- 87.5g (3 oz) softened butter
- 3/4 level tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
For the crunchy lemon icing:
- 50g (2 oz) granulated sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
You’ll also need:
- 450g (1lb) loaf tin, greased and lined
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth in a large mixing bowl and turn into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- While the cake is still warm, make the topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice, and pour over the warm cake.
- Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin.
This recipe is part of Mary Berry’s three cakes in one recipe, taken from Mary Berry’s Stress-free Kitchen.
Users of Good to Know can order a copy of Mary Berry’s Stress-Free Kitchen by Mary Berry, RRP £20.00, at the special discounted price of £17.00 (including p&p).
To order a copy please call on 0870 755 2122 quoting the reference code BSH664 or order online at pressoffers.co.uk. Please allow 28 days for delivery, offer subject to availability.
By Mary Berry
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Which day of the week do you do the bulk of your food shopping on?
- Monday 6%
- Tuesday 5%
- Wednesday 5%
- Thursday 12%
- Friday 16%
- Saturday 16%
- Sunday 6%
- Different days every week 17%
- In small bits all through the week 17%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 514 times!