Isabella Beeton is one of the most famous cookery writers in British history and this is the ultimate Victoria sponge cake recipe.
Prep time: 35 mins
(including decorating time)
Cooking time: 20 mins
(plus cooling time)
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- Child friendly
- Editor’s pick
- Make in advance
Top tip: ‘A properly cooked sponge cake should be firm in the middle and have slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin. It should also spring back when you touch it.’
Cake expert, Eric Lanlard
- 4 eggs
- Their weight in pounded sugar, butter and flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- A layer of any kind of jam or marmalade
- Beat the butter to a cream and dredge in the flour and pounded sugar. Stir these ingredients well together, and add the eggs, which should be previously thoroughly whisked.
- When the mixture has been well beaten for about 10 mins, butter a Yorkshire-pudding tin, pour in the batter, and bake it in a moderate oven for 20 mins.
- Let it cool, spread one half of the cake with a layer of nice preserve, place over it the other half of the cake, press the pieces slightly together, and then cut it into long finger-pieces. Pile them in cross bars on a glass dish, and serve.
Recipe taken from Mrs. Beeton’s Cookery and Household Management, Isabella Beeton  London.
Mrs Beeton’s Cookery and Household Management is now published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, a division of the Orion Publishing Group.
Mrs Beeton is a registered trademark.
By British Lion Eggs
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 546 times!
Incoming search terms:
- gordon ramsay sponge cake with ginger cream
- gordon ramsay sponge with fresh ginger recipe
- gordon ramsay sponge cake with ginger
- gordon ramsay ginger sponge cake recipe
- gordon ramsay ginger cream cake
- gordon ramsay sponge with fresh ginger
- gordon ramsay victoria sponge recipe
- sponge with fresh ginger
- gordon ramsay chocolate cake with ginger cream
- gordon ramsay ginger sponge