A hearty soup made with kale, potatoes, carrots, and sausage.
I’m feeling a bit under the weather this week. It seems I caught a cold from my toddler who just entered Pre-K. Along with her projects, crafts, and books, she’s been taking home a new cold each week (lucky me!)
Right now hot tea and soup are on the menu. I thought I would make something from the archives that I haven’t made in a while, something with lots of vitamins and antioxidants to help me kick this cold.
So I made this soup, which really hit the spot. It’s a meal in a bowl and kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around, high in vitamins K, A and C with both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
This soup will taste as good as the sausage you purchase, so be sure to find an Italian turkey or chicken sausage that you like, either would work. If you want this a little spicy, you can certainly use a hot sausage instead. Vegetarians could swap the sausage for soyrizo and vegetable broth.
Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
Servings: 6 • Size: 1 2/3 cups • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6
Calories: 232 • Fat: 4 g • Carb: 31 g • Fiber: 5.5 g • Protein: 19 g • Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 647 mg (will vary by brand of broth you use)
- 14 oz reduced fat Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 8 cups (1/2 batch) kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
In a large Dutch oven or pot, cook sausage over medium-low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot, let cool and cut into thin slices.
Add oil to pot, add onions and carrots; cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth, water and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add cooked sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the potatoes and kale are cooked, about 5-6 minutes. Adjust salt if needed.
Makes 10 cups.
This recipe has already been read 1359 times!
Incoming search terms:
- gordon ramsay corn chowder
- gordon ramsay new england clam chowder recipe
- new england clam chowder gordon ramsay
- clam chowder recipe gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay corn chowder recipe
- gordon ramsay corn soup
- gordon ramsay new england clam chowder
- gordon ramsay chowder
- corn chowder gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay clam chowder recipes