Chicken masala from Essentials magazine. Mmm, a lovely creamy dish – tastes so good you might need to make extra!
PREP AHEAD Follow the recipe to the end of step 2, but leave out the lime juice and fresh coriander. Store in an airtight container and transport in a coolbag. Reheat thoroughly, add coriander and lime to serve
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 11/2tsp ground coriander
- 11/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4tsp ground turmeric
- 10 curry leaves
- 12 skinless and boneless organic free-range chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 sachet Barts creamed coconut
- small handful coriander,roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add the onion and fry over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring frequently, until softened and slightly browned. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, spices and curry leaves, season well and fry for 1 min. Add the chicken, fry for 1 min, then add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 mins or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced a little.
- Stir in the creamed coconut with the coriander, add lime juice to taste.
- Serve with the coriander & cashew dip and lime wedges.
By Lucy Jessop
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 225(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 4.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 621 times!