Ring in the New Year with this quick and easy black-eyed pea dip!
For those of you who believe eating black eyed peas in the New Year
will bring you luck (and we can certainly all use a little more luck) this healthy bean salad is for you! Whether you eat this as a salad or serve it as a dip with some baked chips, the zesty flavors in this salad is sure to turn you into a fan of black-eyed peas.
I tested this out on my friends this weekend and it got a thumbs up from everyone. The earthy taste of the beans are balanced with sweet corn, avocado, lime juice, garlic and cilantro to brighten them up. Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Servings: 12 • Size: 1/3 cup • Old Points: 3 • Weight Watcher Points+: 3 pt
Calories: 107 • Fat: 4 g • Carb: 15 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 4.5 g • Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 65 mg • Cholest: 0 mg
- 15 oz canned no salt black eye peas (Eden)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (from about 1 1/2 limes)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 medium avocado, diced
In a large bowl, combine the garlic, lime juice, oil, cumin, crushed red pepper, and salt and mix well.
Add the black-eyed peas, corn, tomato, red onion, jalapeno if using and cilantro; mix well and refrigerate at least 20 minutes. When ready to eat, gently mix in the avocado and serve right away.
This recipe has already been read 325 times!