Cooking without waste is one of the goals of each of us, but many times it happens that what could have been eaten ends up in the garbage. On the National Food Waste Prevention Day, here are some tips to help prevent this from happening
You know how much food is thrown away each year? According to the FAO, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, we Italians throw in the trash about 65 kg of food every year, especially fruit, vegetables, bread and other fresh foods. Established in 2014, the National Food Waste Prevention Day it is intended to remind everyone that they must try to improve the situation. A good way is to start with the small things, the ones that are within the reach of all of us.
Here are our tips in 7 helpful tips:
1) Think and observe before buying: try to imagine a sort of menu of the week and take a good look at what you have in the fridge, freezer and pantry (yes, even in the second row, on the last shelf). In this way the shopping list will be shorter and only of necessary things.
2) At the supermarket with a full stomach: if you are hungry when you go shopping, it could happen that different products appear mysteriously in your cart that perhaps were not essential. And that maybe they will stay for months at the bottom of the pantry. Give them as a gift, someone who will appreciate them will be there for sure.
4) Out to dinner: it is now almost a consolidated practice and no one will be surprised if you ask to take away what you have not finished. Far from it. And this also applies to the wine bottle.
5) Long live the schiscetta: if you do not finish everything you have prepared, divide it into small airtight containers and use them for the lunch break in the office, or freeze them to eat them again. If, on the other hand, there are small quantities left over, try transforming them into a new recipe: omelettes, filled with savory pies, vegetable cream, pasta sauce …
6) Don't pay attention to aesthetics: never choose a fruit for its beauty, you might be disappointed. In the same way, do not throw away trusting only your eyes, if the apples are bruised, they will be perfect to enrich a cake or to become a compote to be served with cheeses.
7) Gastronomic reuse: at first it takes a bit of imagination and the desire to experiment, then it will become a habit to imagine a second destination for peels, peels & C.
Speaking of the latter, here are some our recipes against waste in the kitchen:
This recipe has already been read 175 times!