This delicious cottage pie is sure to become a family favourite. It’s easy to make and is packed with a sweet tomato sauce and tender beef mince which make a great combo with a creamy mash topper
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan or large frying pan, add the onion and carrots and cook over a med heat for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have started to soften. Add the beef to the pan and cook for about 5-10 mins, stirring to break up the meat, until it browns. Once the meat is crumbly, stir occasionally to prevent it sticking and burning, but don’t keep stirring it, otherwise it just cools the mixture, rather than letting the meat brown. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few mins.
- Sprinkle over the flour, then mix it in well and heat for 3-4 mins to cook the flour. The flour will absorb the fat that comes out of the meat, which will then thicken the sauce.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes, sprinkle in the stock cube and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continually, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 mins, until it thickens slightly and the vegetables are tender. If the sauce seems very thick, just add a little boiling water.
- Set oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Stir the Worcestershire sauce into mince, then spoon into a dish and level the surface.
- Beat the potato to soften it and spread over the mince. Score the surface with a fork and put butter on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20-30 mins, or until the pie is golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve straight from the oven.
By Woman’s Weekly
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 516(kcal)
- Fat 30.0g
- Saturates 13.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 13432 times!
Incoming search terms:
- gordon ramsay cottage pie recipe
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/cottage-pie html
- cottage pie recipe gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsey cottage pie
- Gordon Ramsay Cottage Pie
- cottage pie gordon ramsay
- cottage pie recipe gordon ramsey
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsay-chestnut-mushroom-stuffing-recipe
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/cottage-pie-recipe-traditional-gordon-ramsay
- Gordon Ramsay cottage pie recipe UK