Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This is one of our easy and favourite berry recipes. Fluffy meringues floating on a delicious strawberry coulis is a delicious dessert recipe that serves up to 4 people. Perfect as a dinner party or weekend treat, the gooey meringues and sweet strawberry coulis make a delicious, mouth-watering combination. You could also serve this recipe in a tall glass with ice cream as an ice cream sundae alternative.
For the meringues:
- 2 med egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 300ml milk
For the caramel sauce::
Each portion contains:
of an adult’s guideline daily amount
If you’re not confident in making the meringues from scratch, use shop bought ones instead
- To make the coulis, put about 250g of the strawberries, the icing sugar and lime juice in a blender and whizz until mixed. Push the mixture through a sieve to make a smooth sauce. Finely chop the rest of the strawberries and set aside in a small bowl.
- To make the meringues: Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the sugar until soft, shiny and fairly stiff.
- Pour the milk into a shallow pan and bring to a simmer. Put dessertspoonfuls of meringue mix into the milk and gently poach for 2 mins. Flip them over and poach for 1-2 mins, until spongy. Do this in 2 or 3 batches. Put them on a flat plate, while you cook the rest.
- To make the sauce: Put the sugar in a pan over a high heat, shaking it occasionally, so the sugar melts to a deep amber. Take off the heat, add 2 tbsp cold water to stop it cooking, then put back on a low heat to let the caramel dissolve again.
- Pour the coulis into 4 shallow plates. Place 3 meringues on top of each, add chopped berries, then drizzle with caramel sauce and serve immediately.
By Woman’s Weekly
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twists and handy tips.
Login with Facebook to save this recipe and start building your online Recipe Book
Login with Facebook
This recipe has already been read 550 times!