Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
So quickly made, this loaf is delicious for a mid-morning snack with a cup of coffee. Spread with butter or just served thickly sliced, it is good at any time of the day. Great for a quick breakfast with a banana and glass of milk or juice or add a few slices in your packed lunch box! This loaf only takes 35 mins to bake and combines a creamy, thick yogurt with soft brown sugar to make one moreish, moist loaf that the whole family will love. You could even serve this cake as a dessert with ice cream or lashings of double cream.
- 150g natural yogurt
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 25g soft margarine
- 2 eggs, medium
- 100g walnuts, chopped
- 175g self raising flour
For the topping:
Try different flavoured yogurt in this recipe – hazelnut is particularly good.
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C/350⁰F/Fan 160⁰C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 450g loaf tin.
- Put the yogurt, sugar, margarine, eggs, half the walnuts and flour into a large bowl.
- Beat together well until smooth and creamy. Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until well risen and golden brown or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the loaf in the tin then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the topping, mix together 1 tbsp of the honey and lemon juice and brush it over the top of the loaf.
- Press the remaining walnuts on top of the loaf and drizzle with the remaining honey.
By Cathy Seward
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twist and handy tips.
This recipe has already been read 351 times!