For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp water
For the filling:
- 25g butter or margarine
- 3 level tbsp cornflour
- 340g can pineapple pieces in juice, drained, juice reserved
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 75g caster sugar
If you want to serve the pie cold cook the meringue at a lower temperature for a little longer – this will firm up the meringue a little more – simply cook at 150⁰C/300⁰F/Fan 130⁰C/Gas mark 2 for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C/400⁰F/Fan 180⁰C/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the butter or margarine and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured board, then wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry to line a 20cm flan dish or tin.
- Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper or baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack whilst you make the filling.
- Put the butter or margarine and cornflour into a saucepan. Make up the pineapple juice to 275ml with the lime juice and a little water if necessary. Add to the pan with the lime zest and sugar.
- Bring to the boil on a medium heat, stirring continuously and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Cool slightly and then beat in the egg yolks. Stir in the pineapple pieces.
- Pour the filling into the cooked pastry case and smooth it over evenly.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and stand in peaks. Whisk in the sugar, then spoon the meringue over the filling.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned. Serve hot or cold.
By Cathy Seward
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twist and handy tips.
This recipe has already been read 327 times!