Start the morning RIGHT with the super delicious, creamy green smoothie made with frozen banana, baby spinach, fresh mango, hemp seeds and unsweetened almond milk.
I usually start my mornings with a big green smoothie, so I’m loving the new Superfood Smoothies book, by Julie Morris and LOVED this recipe! While thumbing through her book, their were several recipes with ingredients I don’t usually have on hand, and hemp seeds was one of them. But I’ve been curious about them, because I was looking for more ways to add protein to my smoothies without using yogurt, so off to the health food store I went to pick some up.
Guess what, they are really DELICIOUS, similar to the taste of raw sunflower seeds. They are one of the best sources of protein on the planet according to Julie, and include all 8 essential amino acids. The recipe below is for two, but if your making this for yourself, just divide the recipe. Be sure to freeze your bananas so your smoothie is thick, almost like the texture of a milkshake.
If you’re wondering where to find raw shelled hemp seeds, I’ve seen them at Costco, my local Organic Supermarket, the health food aisle of my supermarket, or you can order them on Amazon. Be sure they are shelled and unsalted. Of course if you wish you can sub them out for another seed such as sunflower or flax.
This will be on my regular rotation from now on, and I love that it’s 4 points plus on Weight Watchers for 16 oz, plus it’s perfect for dairy-free, clean, vegetarian, gluten-free, and Paleo-friendly.
Mango Banana Superfood Green Smoothie
Servings: 2 • Size: 16 oz smoothie • Old Points: 3 • Weight Watcher Points+: 4 pt
Calories: 173.5 • Fat: 6 g • Carb: 27 g • Fiber: 4.5 g • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 15.5 g
Sodium: 171 mg • Cholest: 0 mg
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 packed cup baby spinach
- 2/3 cup fresh mango, diced
- 2 tbsp raw hemp seeds, shelled
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup ice
- sweetener, to taste (I used a few drops of Nu-Naturals liquid stevia)
Combine all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth, adjust sweetener to your taste.
Source: Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing and Nutrient Dense Recipes
You may also like:
Skinny Green Monster
Blueberry Banana PB Smoothie
Tropical Green Smoothie
- ^ Superfood Smoothies (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Amazon (www.amazon.com)
- ^ raw hemp seeds, shelled (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Superfood Smoothies: 100 Delicious, Energizing and Nutrient Dense Recipes (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Skinny Green Monster (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Blueberry Banana PB Smoothie (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Tropical Green Smoothie (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
This recipe has already been read 732 times!