I’m sharing this wonderful chili recipe from my friend Jessica of How Sweet It Is, who just came out with her first cookbook – Seriously Delish. I’ve always loved reading Jessica’s blog, she’s adorable and her book is just as fun to read, filled with beautiful photos and tons of great recipe ideas.
I really wanted to make everything in her book, but I figured since it’s September, and the kids are back to school, this chili is perfect. A hearty, one pot meal that makes enough for several meals and leftovers are perfect to pack for lunch or can be frozen for another day. I didn’t make any changes to her recipe, they only thing I adjusted was the serving size – I found 1 cup to be filling and the perfect portion size.
Barbecue Chicken Chili
Servings: 11 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 237 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 23 g • Carb: 22 g • Fiber: 5 g • Sugar: 8 g
Sodium: 951 mg (without salt) • Cholesterol: 43 mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 12 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 12-oz jar roasted red peppers in water, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 11 tablespoons reduced fat cheddar cheese, for topping
- chopped cilantro, for topping
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil, onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the chicken, red peppers, beans, chicken stock, tomatoes, and barbecue sauce, stirring to combine. Cover the pot, lower the heat to medium low, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and taste, adjusting the seasoning to taste, if needed. Cover and cook another 10 minutes.
Ladle the chili into bowls and top with cheddar cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
Makes 11 cups.
- ^ How Sweet It Is (www.howsweeteats.com)
- ^ Seriously Delish (www.amazon.com)
This recipe has already been read 383 times!