These delicious breads are traditionally stuffed with a fruit and nut mixture then baked quickly in a tandoor oven – an Indian clay oven that reaches very high temperatures. They will cook just as well in a hot domestic oven but make sure they are placed on a preheated baking sheet so they start to puff up immediately (slow cooking will make them tough and leathery). They are best eaten warm from the oven brushed with melted butter or ghee and with a sprinkling of fresh chopped coriander if liked.
Prep time: 25 mins
plus 2 ½hrs proving
Cooking time: 8 mins
Total time: 33 mins
plus 2 ½hrs proving
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the yoghurt and enough water to mix to a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave in a warm place for about 1 ½- 2 ½ hrs or until the dough has doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, place the filling ingredients in a food processor or blender and process to a coarse paste.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Place a heavy-duty baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each out to a circle. Place a spoonful of the filling in the centre of each circle then pull the edges together to enclose the filling and pinch tightly to seal. Shape into a ball then roll each ball out to a thin oval shape.
- Quickly place the naans on the hot baking sheet and bake for 7-8 mins until puffy and with brown spots in places. Serve immediately brushed with melted butter or ghee.
By Nichola Palmer
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
Incoming search terms:
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/naan-bread-recipe-gordon-ramsay
- peshwari naan filling
- gordon ramsay naan bread recipe
- gordon ramsay naan
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/peshwari-naan html
- gordon ramsay naan bread
- Gordon Ramsey bread receipe
- naan bread gordon ramsay
- naan bread recipe Ramsay
- traditional garlic naan recipe