Making your own Sazon spice blend is EASY to do – and the best part, no MSG!
Sazon is like the magic spice blend in many of my Latin dishes. It’s commonly found in the supermarket in small envelopes that you add to stews, beans, rice, etc. It gives yellow rice that yellow color and basically makes anything taste good! Goya is the most popular brand, but I stopped buying it years ago when I realized it had MSG, and started using Badia Sazon, but it’s not easy to find so now I make my own which I keep stored in a small spice jar, so instead of using a packet of sazon, I use one and a half teaspoons of this in it’s place.
The key ingredient in this spice mix is ground annatto (achiote), the spice that gives yellow rice that yellow color. Annatto is derived from the seeds of achiote tree. In India it’s referred to as sindoor, and in the Philippines, it is called atsuete. I can find it in hispanic markets, but you can also find it on Amazon. If you can’t find this, turmeric would be a good substitute.
What do I make with Sazon? I always season my wings with it, I use it on my grilled chicken wings, in Mom’s Chicken and Rice, Sofrito Chicken Stew, Chicken and Lentil Soup, Arroz con Gandules, and many more dishes! Tomorrow I will share one of my daughter’s favorite dishes with this spice.
Homemade Sazon Seasoning Mix
Servings: 12 • Size: 1 1/2 teaspoons • Old Points: 0 pts • Points+: 0 pts
Calories: 7 • Fat: 0 g • Protein: 0 g • Carb: 1 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 0 g
Sodium: 281 mg
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground annatto seeds (achiote) or turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container. 1 1/2 teaspoons of this mix equals one packet of commercial sazon.
- ^ ground annatto (achiote) (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Amazon (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Mom’s Chicken and Rice (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Sofrito Chicken Stew (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Chicken and Lentil Soup (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Arroz con Gandules (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ ground annatto (www.amazon.com)