Originally from Argentina, chimichirri sauce is a robust and fresh-tasting herb, garlic and chilli sauce which is usually served with grilled or barbecued meat. It’s best to make the sauce a few hours in advance so the flavours can infuse into the oil and vinegar. Keep covered in the fridge but remove and leave at room temperature for about 30mins before serving. We’ve used rib eye steak here but sirloin, t-bone and fillet steaks all cook beautifully on the barbecue too. Make sure the coals are really hot so the meat sears instantly and take care not to overcook the steaks or they will be tough and dry.
For the sauce:
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6tbsp fresh finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2tbsp fresh finely chopped oregano
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp sea salt flakes
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the steaks:
If fresh oregano is unavailable use 2tsp dried oregano instead.
- To make the sauce, mix the chilli pepper, parsley and oregano in a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar, oil, salt flakes and pepper. Cover and chill for 2-3hrs or overnight to allow all the flavours to infuse.
- Season the steaks lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook on a hot barbecue for 4-6mins each side (depending on how you like your steak cooked).
- Remove the steak from the barbecue and cover and rest for 5mins. Serve each steak topped with a spoonful of the chimichurri sauce and with chips on the side.
By Nichola Palmer
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twists and handy tips.
Login with Facebook to save this recipe and start building your online Recipe Book
Login with Facebook
Incoming search terms:
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsey-chimichurri
- gordon ramsay chimichurri recipe
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/chilli-sauce
- chimichurri gordon ramsay
- gordon ramsay rib eye steak recipe
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/chilli-sauce#:~:text=To make the sauce, mix all the flavours to infuse
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/steak-with-chimichurri-sauce html
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/gordon-ramsey-chimichurri#:~:text=Method all the flavours to infuse
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/chilli-sauce#:~:text=Method all the flavours to infuse
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/tag/how-to-cook-a-ribeye-steak-gordon-ramsey