Leftover picadillo and brown rice makes a super easy second meal, all in the crock pot. Top it with melted cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese and you’ll have a delicious dinner without much fuss. Each pepper is a complete meal-in-one.
As I mentioned in my last post, we use leftover picadillo many ways in my home. Stuffed peppers are a great way to use leftovers and nothing goes to waste here – the tops of the peppers get diced and are
added to the filling.
The slow cooker is the perfect appliance for making stuffed peppers, I’ve also included oven directions below.
When buying bell peppers for the slow cooker, I look for peppers that have flat bottoms that can stand upright on their own.
You can double the recipe to make 6, which would fit perfectly in a 6 qt slow cooker.
BTW, we love stuffed peppers in my home and I’ve posted other variations:
Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Santa Fe Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers
and there’s even a stuffed pepper soup. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Picadillo Stuffed Peppers
Servings: 3 • Size: 1 pepper • Old Points: 8 pts • Weight Watchers Points+: 10 pts*
Calories: 375.5 • Fat: 13 g • Protein: 37 g • Carb: 29.4 g • Fiber: 4.6 g • Sugar: 2 g
* without the cheese: 8 Points+ each
- 3 red bell peppers (with flat bottoms)
- 1 cup left-over cooked brown rice
- 2 cups leftover crock pot picadillo
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
Cut 1/2 inch of the tops of the bell peppers and dice fine.
In a medium bowl combine cooked brown rice, picadillo and diced pepper tops. Stuff the peppers with the picadillo and rice filling and place upright in the crock pot. Pour the water into the bottom of the crock pot, cover and and cook 3 hours on HIGH -or- 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
Just before serving, top each pepper with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, cover and leave until it melts, 2-3 minutes.
Oven directions: Preheat oven to 350°. Place peppers in an oven-proof dish, pour about 1/3 cup water in the bottom of the dish, cover and bake 50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
Remove foil, top each cheese and bake uncovered 5 minutes.
- ^ picadillo (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Turkey Stuffed Peppers (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Santa Fe Turkey Stuffed Peppers (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ stuffed pepper soup (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ crock pot picadillo (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)