This gorgeous butternut squash soup makes the perfect autumn or winter supper dish and it also works as a tasty dinner party starter. Make this homemade soup using seasonal butternut squash with this easy recipe
To freeze the soup, pour it into a freezer container, cover, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the soup to defrost before reheating it.
- Set the oven to 190°C or gas mark 5.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves, cut-side down, on the buttered baking parchment. Roast the squash in the centre of the oven for about an hour, or until they are tender. Remove the squash from the oven and leave them until they are cool enough to handle.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5-8 mins, or until onion has softened but not coloured. Scoop butternut squash flesh out of skins, add flesh to pan and discard skins. Cook for 1-2 mins, then add the thyme and stock cubes to the pan. Pour in 1 litre (1¾ pints) boiling water, and stir until stock cubes have dissolved. Bring soup to the boil; simmer for 20 mins, until vegetables are tender. Remove pan from heat; leave soup to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until it’s smooth, and season it to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Reheat the soup before serving. It will be quite thick, so dilute to the desired thickness by adding some boiling water.
- Serve the soup with croutons and sprigs of thyme, and grind over some black pepper.
By Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 132(kcal)
- Fat 5.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Halloween recipes face-off
Trick or treat? Which of these spooky recipes do you prefer? We’ve got 15 Halloween face-offs, click through each to vote. Halloween cupcakes or spider’s web whoopie pies?
Spider’s web whoopie pies
Or would you rather make an inventive whoopee pie?
Make the recipe now
56% 1124 votes
44% 1124 votes
Incoming search terms:
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/butternut-squash-soup html
- https://gordon-ramsay-recipe com/preparation/butternut-squash-soup html#:~:text=Scoop butternut squash flesh out mins, until vegetables are tender
- butternut squash sweet potato soup gordon ramsay
- butternut squash soup
- butternut soup recipe
- butternut squash soup recipe
- butternut squash soup recipes
- squash soup with coconut milk
- butter nut sqash soup recipe strp by steo
- Classic butternut squash soup