Love a bit of banana bread? Give your usual recipe a naughty little addition by making it with chocolate. Rachel Allen’s delicious recipe also has walnuts and orange zest for extra flavour
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 75g milk chocolate
- 250g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g butter, softened, plus extra to serve
- 50g walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 475g whole bananas (about 4 small ones), pealed
- 50g glace cherries, halved
You will also need:
- 13 x 23 cm (5x9in) loaf tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Lightly oil and line the loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar butter and chopped nuts (if using) and, using your fingertips, rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest in another bowl. Add the bananas and mash very well with a potato masher. Then melt the milk chocolate and fold it into the banana mixture.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Gently but thoroughly bring all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, then pour into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1- 1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin.
By Rachel Allen for Cadbury Dairy Milk Fairtrade
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Which day of the week do you do the bulk of your food shopping on?
- Monday 6%
- Tuesday 5%
- Wednesday 5%
- Thursday 12%
- Friday 17%
- Saturday 16%
- Sunday 6%
- Different days every week 18%
- In small bits all through the week 15%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!