These aubergine sliders make a great alternative to a veggie burger. For anyone trying to cut back on carbs, think of them as base-free pizzas. When baked, aubergines turn deliciously soft and nutty in texture. We’ve topped them with a stringy gruyere but any cheese you fancy will work, try salty crumbled Feta and some sliced black olives for a Greek twist or sliced buffalo tomatoes, basil and gooey mozzarella for an Italian influence
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These would make a great fancy starter; just add a ball of rocket leaves and a drizzle of pesto around the plate.
- 2 aubergines sliced into 1inch round slices
- 2tbsp oil
- 250g grated gruyere cheese
- 1tsp of mixed dried herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F/Gas Mark 6. Oil an ovenproof dish lightly before placing the aubergine rounds flat in a single layer. Drizzle them with oil and bake for 15mins until almost cooked through.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and the mixed herbs and return to the oven to melt for another 5-10mins until golden and bubbling and serve.
By Sophie Rae
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Delia Smith is no longer the face of Waitrose but Heston Blumenthal will stay – whose food would you rather eat?
- Delia Smith’s classic meals 73%
- Heston Blumenthal’s crazy inventions 8%
- Neither 19%
Thanks, your vote has been counted!