- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 5. Grease and line a deep (preferably spring-form) 10cm sandwich cake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat the eggs and add the liqueur.
- Mix in 1/3 of the eggs and 1/3 of the flour and gently fold in. Repeat until all of the eggs and flour are combined.
- Add the baking powder and ground almonds, and fold through the cake mix.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-30mins until the cake is slightly risen and golden brown. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out with a few crumbs but no raw cake mixture attached. If it browns too much before it’s cooked in the middle, cover with tin foil.
- Cool in the tin for 10mins, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Serve warm with chocolate sauce or ice-cream, or allow to cool completely and cut into slices.
By Eleanor Turney
What do you think of this recipe? Leave us your comments, twist and handy tips.