Whole grain apple muffins made with fresh apple, applesauce, walnuts plus a combination of bran flour, white whole wheat and almond meal with a granola topping.
It’s apple season and I picked up some gala apples at the farmer’s market last week to make a great big batch of crock pot applesauce. Last year I used that applesauce to make an applesauce nut bread which I love, and it inspired me to experiment with almond meal, wheat bran and flax to come up with these delicious muffins. I love how moist they turned out, and I saved the extra in my refrigerator to eat for the week – they stayed moist for days!
Whole Grain Apple Nut Muffins
Servings: 12 • Size: 1 muffin • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 149 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 30 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 4 g • Sugar: 19 g
Sodium: 172 mg • Cholesterol: 0 g
- 1 cup (from 1 large) apple, peeled cored and grated
- 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- cooking spray
- 3/4 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coarse wheat bran flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 cups homemade applesauce (or store bought)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz walnuts, chopped
- 1 oz granola (I used Cascadian Farms)
In a medium bowl combine grated apple, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, honey, and lemon juice. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, bran, almond meal, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt with a wire whisk; set aside.
In a large bowl mix applesauce, oil, egg whites, sugar, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Add the flour mixture, then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in apples and walnuts.
Pour batter into muffin tins and top each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of granola, then bake in the center rack about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let them cool and serve room temperature.
- ^ crock pot applesauce (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ applesauce nut bread (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
- ^ homemade applesauce (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)