This zucchini is incredibly delicious with a little bit of a Mexican kick from the jalapeno then topped with melted queso blanco. It’s also easy and quick, a must try!
I’m a bit of a cookbook addict. It’s a problem as I’m running out of room in my home for all my books, bu that never stops me from buying new ones. But the biggest problem is that I kind neglect them. But this weekend I was thumbing through the Aaron Sanchez’s cookbook Simple Food, Big Flavor who is also one of the judges on Chopped (one of my favorite shows) and I came across his Mexican recipe for zucchini. I can’t get enough of zucchini in the summer, in fact I have an entire Pinterest Board devoted to skinny zucchini called Yummy Zucchini, so I decided to test this out…
You MUST try this! I only made a few tweaks using less oil, and and rather than making a cilantro pesto, I added Garden Gourmet cilantro paste and minced pickled jalapeno for kick. It totally exceeded my expectations.
Skillet Mexican Zucchini
Servings: 4 • Size: 1/4 • Old Points: 2 pts • Weight Watcher Points+: 4 pt
Calories: 102 • Fat: 6 g • Carb: 8 g • Fiber: 2 g • Protein: 5 g • Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 211 mg • Cholest: 17 mg
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb zucchini, diced
- 1 large tomato, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro or Garden Gourmet cilantro paste
- 1 tsp minced pickled jalapeño
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso blanco
- fresh lime juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
the garlic in oil in a large skillet over medium heat 1 minute,
stirring until sizzling. Add zucchini and cook stirring occasionally,
about 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the tomato and green
onion and cook about 3 minutes.
- ^ Simple Food, Big Flavor (www.amazon.com)
- ^ Yummy Zucchini (pinterest.com)
This recipe has already been read 252 times!