Santa Fe inspired stuffed bell peppers loaded with a zesty filling of ground turkey, corn, black beans, hot peppers and tomatoes, topped with melted cheese and scallions.
These were sooo good I heavily debated saving this recipe for the cookbook! They have just the right amount of kick, but you can certainly turn the heat up a bit more if you like.
Santa Fe Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 pepper • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 160 • Fat: 3 g • Carbs: 19 g • Fiber: 4 g • Protein: 15.5 g • Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 119 (without salt)
For the filling:
- 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 hot pickled serrano pepper, chopped (or jalepeño) more to taste
- 1 large diced tomato
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- kosher salt to taste
For the peppers:
- 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 9 tbsp shredded reduced-fat Sargento Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions, for garnish
In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. When the turkey is browned, add onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, serrano pepper, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low, covered for 20 minutes. Remove lid, add corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
Place peppers, cut side up in an oven-proof dish. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish. Cover tight with foil. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
Makes 6 servings.
- ^ cilantro lime rice (www.gordon-ramsay-recipe.com)
This recipe has already been read 681 times!