- Child friendly
- Make in advance
For the gingerbread cupcakes:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 125ml black treacle
- 1 large egg (we used a Large Baking Egg)
- 1 large egg yolk (we used a Large Baking Egg yolk)
- 175g all-purpose flour, or plain flour
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/4tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp ground allspice
- 1/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1tsp baking soda
- 125ml cup hot milk
For the buttercream:
- 120g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp milk
You’ll also need:
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 cupcake cases
- For the gingerbread cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 175˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- In a clean, large bowl cream the butter with the sugar. Add the treacle and the egg and egg yolk.
- In a separate clean, large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the hot milk mixture.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cases. Bake for 20 mins or until slightly springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool for a few mins in the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the buttercream: Cream the butter in a clean, large bowl until smooth, gradually add the icing sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the milk and cream until combined.
- Use a piping bag to pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes in an iced-rose design and decorate with a mini, edible gingerbread man.
By Ella Valentine Baking Eggs
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Are you planning on making food gifts for Christmas this year?
Thanks, your vote has been counted!
This recipe has already been read 580 times!