This combination of flavours, straight from the Middle East, helps transform humble chicken drumsticks into a special feast. The spice mix also works well brushed over lamb chops. These tender chicken drumsticks only take 40 mins to cook and are cheap to buy in comparison to other joints of chicken. Serve on a bed of rice cooked according to the packet instructions. The pomegranates in this recipe add a burst of sweet flavor to the chicken which is just delicious. The chicken is not too spicy so the kids will love it too.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp pomegranate molasses
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 large chicken drumsticks
- 2tbsp freshly chopped dill
- Seeds from one pomegranate
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the spices and garlic in a small bowl and mix in the pomegranate molasses, plenty of seasoning and the oil. Mix to make a paste.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken and arrange in a shallow baking dish. Brush all over with the spicy oil and bake in the oven for about 40 mins until tender and cooked through. Drain well.
- To serve, serve the chicken over freshly cooked basmati rice flavoured with fried garlic cloves, and sprinkle with dill and pomegranate. Serve immediately.
By Kathryn Hawkins
Cooked this? Upload a picture to our Facebook page
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
Loved this recipe? Try these too!
Party food face-off
What do you head for first on the buffet table? Sausage rolls or cheese straws?
61% 489 votes
39% 489 votes
This recipe has already been read 447 times!